Our vehicles are designed with the environment in mind.
Optare have over a century of expertise in using the latest technologies in bus design and manufacturing to deliver the vehicles of today and tomorrow.
We have developed a range of low-carbon buses using enhanced diesel technology and alternative fuel options.
We set the benchmark for fuel economy and CO2 reduction with reduced weight designs and optimised drive systems.
- 1907 Leyland Motor Company established
- 1923 Charles H. Roe started his bus bodybuilding at Cross Gates
- 1934 East Lancashire Coach Builders established
- 1955 Ashok adds Leyland to its name to recognise Leyland investment
- 1962 Charles H. Roe acquired by Leyland
- 1968 British Leyland Motor Corporation established
- 1975 Company joins Leyland Truck and Bus
- 1985 Optare formed by a buy-out from Leyland Truck and Bus
- 2008 Consolidation of East Lancashire Coach Builders, Darwin Group and Optare
- 2010 Ashok Leyland acquire 25% of the shares
- 2012 Ashok Leyland increases shares to 75%
- 1990 First integral Metrorider vehicle in production
- 1995 Excel low floor fully integral citybus range launched
- 1997 Solo (so low) low floor fully integral midibus range launched
- 2011 Official commissioning of the new Sherburn in Elmet plant by the Minister of Transport
- 2012 10,000th vehicle produced
- 2014 Launch of Integral Double Decker – Metrodecker
- 2000 “Millennium Product” and “Queens Award” for enterprise achieved for the Solo design
- 2009 Environmental improvement CILT award accolade achieved for Solo EV
- 2012 Versa Electric Bus EV wins prestigious SMMT Awards for Automotive Innovation
- 2013 “Excellence in technology” National transport awards Versa EV
- 2015 LowCVP Heavy Duty Vehicle Manufacturer of the YearAward for Optare electric buses
- 2015 LowCVP Outstanding Achievement in Low Carbon Transport (winner of winners’ award) for Optare electric buses
- 2015 Nartional Air Quality Passenger Transport Air Quality award for Optare electric buses